Tips for attracting hummingbirds:
1. Change the sugar/water mixture in your hummingbird feeder every few days, especially during hot weather. Some people change the mixture daily when it is especially hot.
2. Do not dye the mixture red. This is not necessary. The red color of the feeder is sufficient. If you feel the hummingbirds need a stronger clue, attach a red ribbon or streamer that will flutter in the breeze.
3. The recipe is four parts water to one part sugar. Add sugar to boiling water and stir until dissolved.
4. Place a second feeder out of sight of the first one. Hummingbirds will defend all of the feeding stations they can see from one perch.
5. Add hummingbird friendly plants to your property. Trumpet vine, trumpet honeysuckle vine, cardinal flower and bee balm will help. Plants native to your area are the best choice for attracting birds, butterflies and wildlife.